The tutorial below assumes your blog is wide enough to accomodate larger pictures. If you haven't widened it, it's pretty easy. The widest you should make your blog is 950px. Just go to Template, then click on Customize. On the left side, you'll see an option to Adjust Widths. Make your Entire Blog 950px wide and your sidebar 0px wide. For those of you with older style templates, check this out (and the rest of you can skip ahead past the bullets!):
- If you haven't switched to the new interface yet, go to Design, then Template Designer. Follow the instructions above from there.
- If you have an even older template style, follow these instructions: In the Edit HTML section of your Dashboard, scroll down to outer-wrapper and increase that to 950px. Then scroll down to main-wrapper and increase it so that the width of main-wrapper and sidebar-wrapper add up to 950px. You may have to play around with the numbers a little bit so that your sidebar isn't pushed down. This tutorial also assumes you are using the updated post editor. You can do that by going to Settings, the scroll down to Global Setting and select Updated Post Editor.
Okay, on to the big images!
1. Resize the image you want to upload so that it is no wider than your main column and save it. If your blog is 950px wide, I'd recommend doing images that are 930px wide so there is a white space on either side of the image in your post.
2. Go to www.photobucket.com, www.flikr.com, or www.imageshack.us (or whatever image hosting site you prefer) and upload the photo there.
3. Those sites give you an option for "direct link to this image" or "url for this image." This will be a link to a webpage that has just the image on it and nothing else. Copy that link.
4. Log into your Blogger account and start a new blog post.
5. Go to your post and click on the button to upload an image.
6. Select Web Address (URL) and enter the link for the image (the one that you copied in step 3 above) in the Image URL box.
7. Align it however you like and click on Original Size.
8. If your image is a little bit off center, you can go to the more old school, but still easy, way of doing it. You can click on Edit HTML in your post reader, look at the code for the image, and delete the part that says style="margin-left: 1em; margin-right: 1em;". If messing with that code is difficult, you can create your own code for the image simply. Click here to find out how.
The image should show up with the correct dimensions!
[Updated 11/15/11. Updated to reflect new Blogger Template Designer features.]
[Updated 6/29/2010. Please note many of the comments below related to the way to upload large images in the "old" post editor, so they are now outdated.]